With breweries in the UK at a 70-year high we decided to check out what’s happening in the Dorset brewing world. We start with Sixpenny Brewery…
• For starters Sixpenny is an award winning, family run, independent Dorset brewery producing a range of quality cask ales using only the finest ingredients including traditionally floor malted Maris Otter Barley.
• Proud of their rural location, the branding is based on the traditional Dorset country road signs and they have just adopted and sponsored the restoration of the main village signpost in Sixpenny Handley as part of the Dorset Fingerpost Project.
• All draught cask ales are available from the Tap in various sized take home containers. Try before you buy at the shop (see below)
How Can I Get My Hands On It?
• The Sixpenny Tap – Sixpenny’s very own Good Pub Guide listed pub/brewery shop where you can try and/or buy. Limited opening hours but there are regular barbeques and special events. The next open day (complete with hog roast and live music) is Saturday 22nd June.
• Sixpenny can be a bit tricky to get your hands on outside Dorset but there are a number of local outlets (and a few beyond) where you can get lucky. The Blue Raddle in Dorchester is one of our favourites.
Where Is Sixpenny?
• Located on a picturesque farm in Sixpenny Handley, Dorset (somewhere between Shaftesbury and Blandford Forum!)
• In case you can’t find them, just remember that the 998166 on their logo is the Ordnance Survey map reference for the brewery!