The following are twenty miscellaneous questions – take time to think about them and see how much you really know about Dorset….
1) In Enid Blyton’s Famous Five books, how many legs do the famous five have?
2) The towering landmark of the Hardy Monument stands on Black Down above Portesham in South Dorset. Who does it commemorate?
3) It is considered very unlucky to mention a certain creature on the Isle of Portland – what is it and why?
4) What is the name of the railway line that runs through Dorset from Yeovil to Weymouth?
5) Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour is a sanctuary for which rare and much-loved British creature?
6) Which place in Dorset is known as “the village that died for England”?
7) Who starred in the film The French Lieutenant’s Woman filmed at the famous Cobb in Lyme Regis?
8) Which terrible calamity for England in the 14th century is believed to have been caused by a ship that docked in Weymouth?
9) A “yaffle” is a Dorset dialect word for which bird?
10) The oldest working letter (pillar) box in England can be found in Dorset – where is it?
11) Thomas Hardy wrote a famous novel in Dorchester, in which he disguised the town under which fictional name?
12) What is Dorset Blue Vinny?
13) Which crime drama starring David Tennant and Olivia Coleman filmed in and around West Bay has just finished filming it’s second series?
14) Dumbledore – became famous in the Harry Potter series, in Dorset dialect what is a “Dumbledore”?
15) What is Gold Hill in Shaftesbury better known as?
16) Stone has been quarried in Dorset for centuries and the Purbeck area is particularly famous for a shelly limestone that takes a polish – what is it known as?
17) Who is buried in the graveyard of the church of St. Nicholas & St. Magnus, Moreton, Dorset?
18) What is unique about the Rex Cinema in Wareham’s South Street?
19) What is meant when one is said to be “stabbed with a Bridport Dagger”?
20) The West Dorset coastline is so rich in fossils that it has been designated a World Heritage site – what is it better known as?
Look out for the answers in the next couple of weeks…….