Our approach to marketing focuses on giving guests information that is clear and easy to act upon. Our website is praised for its easy use and online booking system. The recent introduction of our Dorset Pocket Guide drawns on our in-depth knowledge of our wonderful county to market not only the properties but all there is to see and do whilst on holiday. It sets us apart from our competition and is unique to us.
Our main marketing focus is online. We work tirelessly to maintain our presence on the first page of Google, both organically and in paid advertising. This is supported by social media and we have active Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest and Google+ accounts. Our audience on these platforms continues to grow through competitions and providing relevant/interesting content. We also have an excellent blog providing guests with up to date information on what’s happening in the area which offers useful insights into holidaying in Dorset.
During the year we run targeted promotions through online campaigns, participation in these is optional. In addition individual special offers on your property can be used to boost bookings in quieter periods. Occasionally we host journalists at properties, with your consent, if we think the magazine or newspaper is relevant to our market, and that the article will be mutually beneficial. On these occasions we cover the cleaning and laundry costs.
Our marketing strategies ensure we are constantly reaching new customers whilst maintaining continual contact with our existing database, thus nurturing both new and repeat business. More specifically our marketing efforts include but are not limited to
• Employ a digital marketing agency year round to manage our paid presence on Google’s search network and our search engine optimisation.
• Direct mail of both brochures and postcards to previous guests.
• Regular e-newsletters to a home-grown marketing database in excess of 40,000 subscribers.
• Multiple competitions per year to boost our marketing database and our following on social media (recent marketing partners include: Yeo Valley, Dorset Cereals, River Cottage, Regatta, Dorset Tourism and Jo Jo Maman Bebe).
• Run general promotions during the course of the year for specific periods (eg. February or October half terms). These are on an opt-in basis and are not mandatory.
• Owners may contact us to have individual special offers placed on www.dorsetcoastalcottages.com/special-offers/ these are generally price or percentage discount based and are used to boost bookings in quieter periods.
• Our guests receive a £30 voucher for use on a future booking. This is split 50-50 between owner and agent, and applicable to any full week booking.
• Advertise in key national newspapers and magazines, the success of which is regularly monitored through call tracking and in our booking system to ensure a good return on investment. Our positioning in all offline media is under constant review.
• We sponsor local events such as Swanage Blues Festival and Swanage and Purbeck Walking Festival, plus local sport teams
• Independent Media Visit (IMV’s) arranged for the mutual benefit of owner and agency. Recent media appearances resulting from IMV’s have included: The Independent, The Guardian and mumsnet.com.
• We support 2 local charities by inviting our guests to contribute when booking.
• Maintain a very active presence on both Facebook and Twitter with ever growing numbers following us on both media.